The new call for proposals from the European Commission within the framework of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive has been announced. In 2020, the theme selected for this Call for Proposals is "Support the preparation of the next 6-year cycle of MSFD implementation through the marine strategies". It concerns in particular the articles to be reported in 2024 to the European Commission, i.e. articles 8, 9 and 10 of the DCSMM:
- Updating the definition of EEB and the assessment of the environmental status of marine waters (Art 8a and 9)
- Analysis of the main activities/pressures and their impact on the marine environment (Art 8b)
- Economic and social analysis of the use of marine waters and the cost of degradation of the marine environment (Art 8c)
- The definition of environmental objectives (Art 10)
This call for projects has a total budget of €4.7M, and aims to fund at least 1 project per marine region or sub-region. You will find all the information relating to the call for projects in the YP, and on the DG ENV website: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/funding/msfd_2020.htm
As a reminder, several Member States may be associated within the same project for the same marine region/sub-region. The European Commission's 2018 call for projects for the DCSMM has thus enabled the MTES to be a partner in two European projects:
- the RAGES project (IE, ES, PT and FR), which aims to develop a risk-based approach for the EEB evaluation of the DCSMM;
- the INDICIT-II project (FR, ES, PT, IT, UK, GR, Turkey and Tunisia) which aims to develop indicators of the impact of plastic waste on marine turtles.
The deadline for sending applications is 30 September 2020, 5pm.
For further information, please e-mail ENV-MARINE-ENVIRONMENTec [dot] europa [dot] eu (with the reference "MSFD 2020 call")
For more information, please download the full call announcement below.