AquaTT has a Communications Officer position available in its offices for an initial contract of 24 months, with a potential for renewal. The Communications Officer will assist in the development and implementation of AquaTT’s internal and external communications strategies and delivery of roles in European funded scientific projects. The Communications Officer will play an integral role in supporting AquaTT’s Project Officers by disseminating the results and significance of these scientific projects to a diverse range of audiences and partners. This will include maintaining key communication channels as well as generating, proofing and editing content.
- Work with and support AquaTT’s Project Officers to develop, copy-edit and proofread content for promotional material such as press releases, newsletters, leaflets, brochures, video, project websites, social media etc.
- Work in close collaboration with AquaTT’s graphic designers to develop promotional material.
- Manage and maintain the AquaTT website.
- Work with AquaTT's external clients on specific contracts, developing highly-visible reports and documents.
- Copy-edit and proofread communication-related material from AquaTT’s staff, such as project reports, deliverables and emails.
- Increase digital audience reach and awareness across social media platforms.
- Develop AquaTT’s monthly e-newsletter which includes writing, editing and proofreading articles, sourcing and formatting images, and overall responsibility for content, appearance and distribution.
- Contribute to arrangements for AquaTT events, such as the development, production and purchase of promotional materials by liaising with AquaTT suppliers e.g. printers.
- Disseminate developed promotional materials through AquaTT's online channels.
- Contribute to the development of AquaTT's internal knowledge management systems, including cataloguing and indexing materials and documentation.
- Participate actively and constructively in discussions within the AquaTT team, to initiate improvements and satisfy project implementation and budgetary objectives within agreed timeframes.
- Fulfil administrative requirements and other appropriate activities as requested by the Management team.
Internal and External Relationships:
- Collaborate with colleagues in the Communications team and Project Officers to ensure the consistency of internal and external messaging.
- Maintain regular contact with Project Officers to assess the level of communicationsrelated activities required for each project as well as identifying possible communication and dissemination opportunities that may present themselves.
- Represent the interests of AquaTT at public engagements, stakeholder meetings, conferences etc.
- Demonstrate optimistic, self-motivated and responsible work ethic and can-do attitude towards all responsibilities.
A description of AquaTT’s project portfolio is available on the company website (www.aquatt.ie/aquatt-projects).
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Educated to degree level in a relevant area e.g. science communications/public relations/media/marketing/journalism.
- At least two years’ previous experience in a comparable role.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Ability to articulate, write effectively and produce content for a variety of platforms.
- Strong active interest in science/science communication/research.
- Excellent attention to detail, pro-active, diligent, willing to learn, dedicated and responsible.
- Must be highly organised, be able to work on several projects simultaneously, be able to prioritise and to utilise efficient time management skills.
- Outstanding and proven presentation and writing skills.
- Able to produce and copy-edit to a high standard within a high-pressure environment ensuring that material is accurate, easy to follow, fit for purpose and free from error, omission, inconsistency and repetition.
- Able to proofread to a high standard ensuring that final material is satisfactory, meeting requirements and upholding AquaTT’s reputation.
- Experience and proven ability in information management and communication through social media platforms e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube.
- Highly developed website management skills, proven ability to use Content Management Systems (e.g. Word Press or similar).
- Ability to work to strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate and work in a team in a multicultural environment.
- Capable of using own initiative to analyse and interpret information to identify key issues when solving problems. Knows when to consult with others to inform decision making.
- A team-player who is happy to go beyond their own responsibilities to help others at busy times.
- Desk-top publishing skills/Adobe software or similar.
- Knowledge and understanding of Irish and international media environment.
- Some knowledge of marine sciences and environmental issues or an interest in learning about these.
Candidates invited for final interviews will be asked to complete tasks to assess their ability to carry out the type of responsibilities involved in this role to a high standard.