The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Established in April 2012, the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) has a membership of over 100 Governments (see www.ipbes.net) and seeks to respond to the needs of governments and other stakeholders to strengthen the science-policy interface on biodiversity and ecosystem services. This post is located in UNEP/DEWA at the Bonn Duty Station. The Information Systems Assistant will report to the IPBES Associate Knowledge Management Officer and will be responsible for the following functions:
Within delegated authority, the Information Systems Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops new systems/modules
- Participates in the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new application systems releases, modules and functionalities.
- Develops, tests and implements simple computer application systems and programs using UN established standards for IT technologies, programming languages and tools.
- Serves as team member in the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and support of computer application systems; independently liaises with users to define and specify requirements.
- Prepares technical and user documentation for deployed computer application systems, as well as training materials and conducts technical presentations.
- Maintain and support existing systems
- Maintains functional specifications for computer application systems, programs and procedures developed and/or modified.
- Provide training, technical and administrative assistance
- Provides support for deployed computer application systems including version management, data recovery and deployment to users’ offices; performs ongoing reviews with users and developers and responds to user requests.
- Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of computer application systems development projects, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units to initiate requests; prepares standard terms of reference; processes and follows-up on administrative actions and resolves issues related to project implementation, e.g. organization of and participation in training, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Other related duties
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A minimum of five years of experience in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development or related area. Working knowledge of SQL, open source systems and SharePoint is an advantage.