The Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences (RBINS, Belgium) is recruiting a PhD student. The PhD student will be engaged in the recently started project PERSUADE (ExPERimental approaches towards Future Sustainable Use of North Sea Artificial HarD SubstratEs, 2017-2021) funded by the Belgian Science Policy. The research will be conducted in close collaboration with the Marine Biology Research Group of Ghent University.
The focus of the PhD student will be on experimental research, statistical processing of the data and modeling the biogeochemical response of the environment to the mentioned cumulative local and global stressors. The research will include (1) database compilation to investigate the effect of trophic and non-trophic interactions on food-web topologies; (2) detailed experiments with benthic and fouling model species to investigate their effect on the benthic and pelagic nitrogen cycle; (3) whole community experiments investigating the C-flow under different climate/multi-use scenarios and (4) developing and applying ecological models to integrate the obtained data in an ecosystem context.
- Master in Sciences or Bio-engineering Sciences (within the field of Biology, Biochemistry, Oceanography or equivalent)
- Strong interest in multidisciplinary research in relation to marine ecology
- Open, collaborative attitude
- Prepared to take initiative, but also to work in close collaboration with other team members
- Prepared to participate in sampling campaigns at sea for several days
- Prepared to participate in (inter)national conferences and symposia
- Excellent organisational, communication (both oral and written) and social skills
- Capable of planning and organizing your own work and meeting deadlines imposed by the project
- Strong interest in experimental work
- Good insights in analysing and interpreting data
- Knowledge of statistical processing of data
- A good knowledge of R is an asset
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken)