The purpose of the job is to provide excellent expertise and leadership in relation to the technical engineering requirements and operational delivery of our current and future portfolio of surveys and fieldwork activities (both in the UK and overseas). The job holder will be responsible for providing solutions to Research Vessel development requirements and technical problem solving (including the specification and sourcing of services and equipment) to support the delivery of surveys and fieldwork as required by both our domestic and overseas portfolio of programmes and projects.
Essential skills include:
• Significant experience and demonstrable competency in technical specification, problem solving and diagnostics (in relation to marine instrumentation and observation systems), providing effective and novel solutions in a fast-paced environment;
• Significant operational experience in the field of marine survey techniques and instrumentation and marine observation system design;
• Ability to see the ‘big picture’ and effectively contribute to identifying and defining the current and future technological developments (and innovative approaches) required to effectively maintain and expand our high-quality delivery of the scientific outputs that support our marine programmes and projects;
• Provision of leadership and advice on marine instrumentation and observation systems, applications and solutions to project/survey specific requests, liaising with partner agencies, commercial customers, manufacturers and equipment designers as required;
• Demonstrable competency in land-based and offshore safety and management of survey equipment and operations. The job holder will need to clearly understand the H&S processes and procedures related to survey and fieldwork equipment and their applications; and
• Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with both colleagues within the organisation, and with external partners and stakeholders.
Desirable skills include:
• A good understanding of mapping, charting and geodesy and the tools used to support these work areas;
• Practical experience in the physics and electronics of acoustic and positioning systems, and their use to support marine surveys; and
• Ability to write scientific reports and technical papers.
Please demonstrate how your previous experience and skills will enable you to meet the requirements of the Job description
Essential professional qualifications required are a degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering subject and operational experience of technical problem solving (preferably in relation to marine survey and fieldwork activities).