The Innovative Training Network (ITN) Project funded by H2020 MSCA ITN call 2015, MarPipe - Improving the flow in the pipeline of the next generation of marine biodiscovery scientists, has launched a new recruitment phase.
Marpipe is a consortium of 11 partners (IBP-CNR, SZN, UiT, UNIABDN, GEOMAR, Ku Leuven, UCC, eCoast, MEDINA, MicroDish, Italbiotech) based in 8 countries (I, N, UK, D, B, IRL, E, NL), including 3 from the non-academic sector.
1. Further develop hits already identified in 10 strains by MarPipe partners in ongoing EU projects in the anti-infective and anticancer fields.
2. Analyse microorganisms that are currently uncultivable and improve methods of their cultivation and co-cultivation in order to optimize production of bioactives compounds. Samples will be provided by the Eurofleet2- Pharmadeep cruise in December 2015 in sub Antarctic deep-sea trenches (Drake Passage, 5000 m).
3. Apply functional bioassays by using metabolic engineering for the discovery of molecular pathways, or apply OSMAC and co-cultivation techniques to awaken silent biosynthetic pathways.
4. Apply sophisticated analytical methods and develop new protocols for the stimulation (of biosynthesis), extraction, isolation, purification and enrichment of biomolecules.
5. Apply medicinal chemistry approaches to optimize the efficacy of target molecules.
6. Scale-up production processes through flexible bioreactor technologies.
7. Address legal and policy constraints in the drug discovery pipeline.
8. Develop innovation and business strategies for drug biodiscovery.